I’ve been looking for a good, crispy fried chicken at home, without needing a full blown deep fryer, and let me tell you, plain flour does not do the trick!
After quite a bit of experimenting with different crunchy items in my pantry, I started playing more with panko - which has a nice, light texture, but also super crunchy and crispy when cooked fried, or even toasted.
But panko doesn’t have much flavor, so I added a little of the “Italian style” or “Italian flavored” bread crumbs, which added a great flavor.
I served my chicken with pasta and a rose sauce, but it would be perfect with a red sauce and some melted mozzarella.
- 1 lb. thin sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrums
- ½ cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk flour and milk in shallow bowl until combined.
- Combine panko and breadcrumbs in a second shallow bowl.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dip chicken individually into the milk, then into the breadcrumbs, repeat.
- Heat oil in frying pan until hot.
- Cook chicken until browned on both sides and cooked through, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.