I was looking for something healthy, but still delicious. While browsing Pinterest for recipes, I came across this recipe for stuffed zucchini by Simply Love Food. And, although I’ve changed it slightly, it’s still very delicious.
We had a lot of leftover filling (I used a full pound of ground chicken), but reheated it the next day on the stovetop and we tucked it into crispy taco shells, topped with taco sauce, more sour cream, and cheddar cheese and it was doubly delicious.
- 2 medium sized zucchini (makes 4 stuffed zucchini)
- 1/2 lb. ground chicken
- ½ sweet onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 3 coved minced garlic
- 3 small tomatoes
- 4 Tbs. sour cream
- 1 tsp. Dried thyme leaves
- ½ tsp. Onion powder
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- bacon, julienned, cooked crisped
- Grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and spay with cooking spray.
- Slice zucchini in half long ways and scoop out all the insides, leaving approximately 1/2 an inch. (Be careful you don’t rip through the skins during this step.)
- In a pan over medium heat, add the onion and pepper, cooking until soft.
- Add the garlic and ground chicken. Cook until meat is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and add to bowl with chopped zucchini.
- Add tomatoes, sour cream, and all seasonings to the bowl and approximately ½ cup of grated cheese.
- Carefully spoon filling into each of the zucchini and place onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the zucchini portion is cooked well and the tops are golden brown in color.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and crumbled bacon.